Find information on programs, curricula, divisions, departments and faculty. Bergen offers more than 120 degree and certificate programs; all classes are taught by faculty experts dedicated to assisting students succeed as they pursue lifelong learning.
Phone: (201) 689-7051
Thanks to the generosity of the Emil Buehler Perpetual Trust, Bergen Community College now has an Aviation program with state-of-the-art simulator laboratories. Students can now experience flights in either a Cessna 172S airplane, Robinson, or Schweizer helicopter. Simulators are also available for dry-lease options.
In addition, the College has secured grant funding from the HSI STEM program (Hispanic-Serving Institutions; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) which allows us to create an academic path that now includes aerospace/aviation.
The mission of the aviation science program at Bergen Community College is to train and develop students in aviation to prepare them for advanced content in or employment in aviation administration.
The Aviation Administration option is designed for students interested in completing their associates’ degree and then transferring to a baccalaureate program in aviation administration or moving directly into a career at an airline or airport. Students in the program take a two-course sequence in aviation technology that includes aircraft operations and aviation safety along with a strong background in business management that will prepare them for further studies and a career in aviation administration. The program learning outcomes are as follows:
- Demonstrate the ability to define, describe, and explain the universal management functions of directing, planning, organizing, and controlling especially where it pertains to the aviation industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental concepts of Aeronautics, their historical development and how they are utilized in current real-world applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to define, describe, and explain basic economic principles that may affect businesses.
- Demonstrate business knowledge and broad-based business theory which positions them for success in a baccalaureate program in aviation management or direct entry into the field
- Demonstrate an understanding of fundamental principles of flight, flight design and how they are applied in current technology.
- Recognize and apply the concepts and techniques of aviation administration in real-world situations to be able to solve operational problems using data driven / analytical decision-making.
- Display, conduct and communicate in the professional manner necessary in the aviation industry.
The professional studies Associate of Science degree (A.S.)- Aviation Administration option is designed to provide students with the coursework needed to transfer to a four-year institution and pursue a bachelor’s degree in aviation administration. The curriculum provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to pursue a pathway to careers in aviation administration. Students are strongly encouraged to consult with Bergen Community College faculty and Career Services as they begin to explore career options. Students can also utilize Career Coach, a resource provided by Bergen, to explore degree programs and corresponding careers https://bergen.emsicc.com.
Students pursuing the professional studies Associate of Science degree (A.S.)- Aviation Administration option can transfer into majors, such as aviation administration. Students are encouraged to work closely with Bergen Community College faculty and Advising Transfer Services. Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution in NJ can explore the “Transfer Programs” feature on NJ Transfer https://njtransfer.org.