Find information on programs, curricula, divisions, departments and faculty. Bergen offers more than 120 degree and certificate programs; all classes are taught by faculty experts dedicated to assisting students succeed as they pursue lifelong learning.
Section 504/ADA – Bergen Community College has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by federal regulations implementing section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Section 504 and ADA state, in part, that “no qualified individual with a disability shall, by reason of such disability, be excluded from participation in or be denied the benefits of the services, programs, or activities of a public entity, or be subjected to discrimination by any such entity.”
Complaints are addressed to:
Janet Doyle (Human Resources)
Pitkin Education Center, Room A-316
- A complaint should be filed in writing, contain the name and address of the person filing it, and briefly describe the alleged violation of the regulations.
- A complaint should be filed within 30 days after the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation.
- An investigation, as may be appropriate, shall follow a filing of a complaint. The investigation shall be conducted by the ADA Coordinator. These rules afford all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to the complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, shall be issued by the ADA Coordinator and a copy forwarded to the complainant no later than 25 working days after its filing.
- The section 504/ADA coordinator shall maintain files relating to the complaints filed.
- The right of a person to a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed here under shall not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies such as filing of a section 504/ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. Utilization of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules shall be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons, to meet appropriate due process standards, and to assure that Bergen Community College complies with section 504/ADA and implementing regulations.