Find information on programs, curricula, divisions, departments and faculty. Bergen offers more than 120 degree and certificate programs; all classes are taught by faculty experts dedicated to assisting students succeed as they pursue lifelong learning.
Office of Testing Services
No appointment necessary. Visit www.new.bergen.edu/testing for testing hours.
- Bergen Community College administers the Accuplacer examination to determine a student’s levels in English, mathematics and elementary algebra. The Accuplacer examination is a computer delivered exam with four untimed multiple choice sections comprised of Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra and a timed written essay. Non-native English speakers will be required to take the Accuplacer ESL exam.
- The results of this test determine a student’s required entry level courses in both English and mathematics.
- Please study for the placement test.
The Accuplacer examination is administered in Room S-127 in the Pitkin Education Center at the Paramus campus on a walk-in basis. Please visit www.new.bergen.edu/testing for the current testing schedule and come prepared to take the exam with a pen, a government issued photo ID, and know your Social Security number. No test will be administered without proper identification.
Most students need to take the placement test, but there are some exceptions.
What conditions can waive the placement test requirement?
- If you hold a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from an accredited college in the United States.
- If you have passed a college-level English and mathematics course, other than accounting or business math.
- If you have previously taken an Accuplacer exam at another college (within five years).
- If you have taken the SAT examination prior to March 2016 with a score of 530 or above in math and/or 540 or above in Critical Reading (within five years).
- If you have taken the SAT examination since March 2016 with a score of 500 or above in math and/or 450 or above in Evidence-Based Reading & Writing (within five years).
- If you have math ACT score since March 2016 of 22 or and/or an English ACT score of 19 or higher (within five years).
- If you have TOEFL test scores of 550 or above (paper/pencil version), 213 or above (computerized version) or 80 or above (Internet based version)(within two years).
- If you have taken the IELTS examination (academic version) and have a score of 6.5 or above (within two years).
- If you have a college/university degree from a country other than the U.S., please submit an evaluation from a current member at http://www.naces.org/members.html. You may be required to take theAccuplacer ESL examination.
If any of the above conditions apply, please complete the waiver form online at www.new.bergen.edu/testing and include supporting documentation. Click on forms in the purple navigation menu to submit the waiver form.